High Wheel Bicycle

Donated in 1965. High wheel or penny farthing bicycle, ca. 1890. Donated by Henry Fredeman. First exhibited in the window of the Merchant’s National Bank in 1965. The modern design of the bicycle was called the “safety” bicycle when it made its debut. High wheel bicycles like this one were difficult to balance and stop, which caused many injuries for riders. Notice that the bicycle has no chain.